Saturday, November 26, 2011

My Story

Approximately 3 yrs ago I began my battle with malignant melanoma. It began as stage 2 and after 2 extremely long and difficult surgeries and 6 weeks of radiation, it cleared from my neck and metastasized to my abdomen in 4 tumors, which escalated it to stage 4. I am currently receiving a clinical trial drug in Charlotte, NC. I am very blessed. God miraculously opened this door for me and after much prayer and fasting, My husband (we will call him Hubby) and I decided to walk through it. It's been a long road, but I have responded VERY well to the treatment, avoiding ALL side effects. The doctors and nurses at the Blumenthal Cancer Center in Charlotte, NC have told me that I'm a story that they often refer to when they tell people about the drug. Currently I go to Charlotte every 3 months for a neck, chest, abdomen and pelvis CT and provided the doctors like my progress, I proceed to the infusion room to have blood drawn, to the doctor's office to have my scans read and my labs approved and then back to the infusion room for my 90 minute drip. It makes for a very long day, but a day nonetheless that I'm fortunate to be a part of. My anxiety and the devil get into my head every time my visit approaches, but I always remember how Hubby says, for the last 2 years my scans have continuously and progressively been good AND I feel amazing, so what makes me think that my scans would be anything except amazing again? So I continue to count my blessings and be positive. Things could be A LOT worse, but God has given me his grace and blessing to make it through this valley.
As if fighting cancer isn't enough for my family, my husband and I have recently separated. We haven't been happy for a while now and when you throw cancer into the mix, I guess it was more than we were prepared to handle. I won't go into the details of our separation, but will say that it certainly wasn't something I chose. Hubby moved out on September 5 and I miss him horribly! I've received advice from friends and family about what I need to do so far as divorce, mediation, etc. However, I have prayed, prayed and prayed some more and God has told me to work on me and assured me that He will work on Hubby. So, that's what I'm doing. Hubby isn't ready to change his life and come home yet, but I am standing in the gap for him and praying throughout everyday. I don't want him to come home w/things the way they are. We both have to get our lives back on the right track w/God and God will bring us back together in His time. Any time before that wouldn't be the right time. That is easy to say, but so hard to apply to my life everyday. I hope that by blogging our situation, I can show others that it CAN be done w/God's grace, prayer, fasting and exercising faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment